Experience Virginia’s pinnacle backpacking destination as you hike and camp along the famed Appalachian Trail as it winds through the highest elevations and perhaps most spectacular views that the state has to offer. We will venture through the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area and be greeted with open mountain meadows, large boulder gardens, stunning vistas, blooming mountain laurel & rhododendron, and perhaps some of the famous wild ponies for which these mountains are known. After continuing north on the AT, saddled horses will be waiting for us to drop our packs and take over the work for a couple hours as we ascend Pine Mountain on horseback! With experienced guides to handle all of the details, you will be able to fully enjoy your adventure through this captivating landscape.
- 16 miles on the Appalachian Trail
- Guided horseback ride along Pine Mountain
- Set foot on Virginia’s highest point atop Mount Rogers
- Stunning views and comfortable temperatures thanks to higher elevations
- Expert instruction and area specific information from our guides
- Backpacking gear (backpack, tent, sleeping pad, hiking poles)
- Transportation from parking area to trailhead
- Delicious meals provided and prepared by our guides
- Cooking stove and fuel for the group
- Water filtration system
- Knowledgeable guide certified in CPR and as a Wilderness First Responder
Reminder: If you would like to join this adventure, but the above dates do not work for you, your group of 3, or more, can always contact us directly. We will be more than happy to work with you in scheduling a custom trip date that better suits your schedule.
A detailed itinerary, trip departure location, complete gear recommendations checklist, and other helpful tips for preparing for this adventure will be provided once your reservation is complete.